Special Features Include: The Gallipoli Evacuation by Peter Hart
We’re very excited to bring you the first issue of our quarterly magazine. Our plan is to base each issue around a theme, which will account for about 30% of the content. We chose Remembrance first because we thought it timed nicely with the date of issue and marked the beginning of our publication with something that we held dear in formulating the objectives of the Great War Group. Upcoming themes include the German Spring Offensives of 1918, the fight for Gaza in 1917, Artillery and the campaigns in Africa. So as you can see, for the rest of our inaugural year, future issues will be more battle-led than this one.
The Evacuation of Cape Helles – Peter Hart
The Story of the Menin Gate – Alexandra Churchill
On the “Grave Di Papadopoli,” October 1918 – Andrea Bianchi
Articles also included: The development of the light machine-gun, Givenchy 1914, WW1 and Living Memory, Local Remembrance, The Ancient Echoes of Modern Commemoration, the early work of the Australian National War Memorial, the Power of Words; WW1 Epitaphs and Remembrance in France, Australia, Denmark and the United States.
Regular content includes: Myths and Mysteries of the Great War, content from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Home Fronts, Book Reviews, Research Tips, Mapping the Great War and much more.
All memberships include:
- Delivery of four issues of “Salient Points,” the Great War Group Journal a year. Family memberships also include one copy of “Over the Top,” our dedicated junior magazine aimed at 9-14 year olds each quarter. Solo child members will receive the latter as standard.
- Early booking privileges for our annual UK conference, and any virtual battlefield tours (a minimum of four in the first year), battlefield tours (a minimum of one in 2021, Covid-19 pending) or UK excursions (a minimum of two in different locations in the first year). Member rates will apply for all of the above.
- Regular email newsletters with group news (a minimum of four in the first year)
- Welcome pack including membership card and lapel pin. Family memberships include stickers for junior members.
- Exclusive access to member only talks and research seminars (a minimum of four in the first year).
- Exclusive access to the Great War Group image finding service for private and commerical use (available to all annual members and to monthly members after four quarters)
- Discounted advertising in Salient Points
- Starts evening UK Time
- The Crowne Plaza Hotel, Chester